Remember when zucchini pasta meant gross “noodles” made from zucchini? This version, which is real pasta made with a sauce made from zucchini, is much more delicious. Enjoy!
•4 small or 2 medium sized zucchini
•6 cloves garlic
•1/4 cup pasta water
•cooked pasta from a 1 lb box
•1/4 cup olive oil plus 2 tbsp
•1/2 cup basil leaves
•salt and pepper
•optional (don’t use if vegan, do use if you love cheesy goodness): 1/4 cup freshly grated pecorino Romano cheese, 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
•optional toppings: toasted pine nuts, basil
1. Zucchini chips (for topping)- cut half of your zucchini quantity (2 small or 1 medium) into thin disks, cook in oven set at 300F for around 30 min with 2 tbsp olive oil and salt
2. For your leftover zucchini, dice and cook in 1/4 cup olive oil, add in diced garlic cloves, salt and pepper to taste and cook all until soft. Add both to blender along with basil leaves, freshly squeezed lemon juice from half the lemon, and 1/4 cup pasta water.
3. Cook pasta according to box instructions (reserve 1/4 cup pasta water for step above)
4. Drain pasta, mix in with zucchini sauce from blender, and if using cheese, mix it now, stir until blended for some cheesy goodness
5. Serve warm with toasted pine nuts, golden zucchini chips and basil 🌿