This Spinach and Feta Quiche with Sweet Potato crust recipe by ShapedByCharlotte is easy to make and super delicious! I had never made a sweet potato crust before for a recipe, and it was so delicious!
Here’s how the sweet potato crust layers should look like arranged on a pie pan:
Here’s Charlotte’s recipe (my edits are in red):
Spinach and Feta Quiche with Sweet Potato Crust
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (or 1 extra-large/long), peeled
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Sprinkle of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 6 oz. frozen chopped spinach, thawed & squeezed of excess water* (you can also cook 1 cup fresh spinach in a pan with oil spray until wilted and drain liquid out in a strainer as a substitute for frozen spinach)
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup reduced-fat, plain Greek yogurt
- 2 oz. crumbled feta, plus more to garnish
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 roma tomatoes or 3 – 4 cocktail tomatoes (small round on the vine tomatoes), sliced into rounds
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
Using a mandoline slicer (or sharp knife), thinly slice sweet potatoes to ~1/8-inch thick slices. I set my thickness to 1.5 – 2 on my mandoline.**Didn’t have a mandoline, so I made thin slices with a sharp knife
- Lightly grease a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray. Place a layer of sweet potato slices in a slightly overlapping spiral on bottom of pie dish
(see picture in blog text above).Then layer sweet potato slices along the side of the pie dish, slightly overlapping again.
- Spray the potatoes lightly with olive oil-based cooking spray. Sprinkle lightly with a little salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute onion and garlic in olive oil (or some olive oil cooking spray) over medium heat until onion has softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and mix in drained spinach.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the eggs and Greek yogurt until well-combined and fluffy. Fold in the feta and spices.
- To assemble quiche: Add spinach mixture to the bottom of the cooked sweet potato crust. Pour egg mixture over top. Sprinkle with additional feta and top with tomato slices (see picture).
- Bake until egg mixture sets, about 28 to 30 minutes.
*You can either thaw the spinach in the microwave by cooking for a minute or two, or place it in a fine mesh strainer and run very warm/hot water over it. Be sure to squeeze out excess water! You can do this by pressing down on it with your hands while it’s in a strainer or by squeezing it in a cheesecloth, paper towel, or a clean thin dish towel.
**Please be careful when using a mandoline as they are VERY sharp!