As a vegetarian, it can be hard to find interesting, healthy, unprocessed protein sources. I found this recipe from bohobeautiful for vegan stuffed peppers, made a bit of edits, and loved the outcome! Especially since so many stuffed pepper recipes are meat filled, it was nice to have something I could eat as a vegetarian, and that was nutritious, flavorful and filling!
Here’s my recipe (influenced by Boho Beautiful’s Roasted Quinoa Stuffed Peppers)
Black Bean Stuffed Peppers
- 6 bell peppers (any color)
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 15 oz can black beans
- 1 cup tomato sauce (I used my homemade tomato sauce)
- 3/4 cup mushrooms
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 garlic minced
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Simmer quinoa on medium-low until cooked
- Stir fry the vegetables (minus bell peppers) with olive oil.
- While vegetables are cooking, preheat the oven to 350, and cut the tops of the peppers, leaving the caps aside.
- Scoop the seeds out of the peppers, leaving them hollow.
- Once onion is fully translucent, add the tomato sauce, and then the cooked quinoa and black beans. Mix all ingredients together.
- Fill the empty peppers with the mixture, placing the pepper caps on the same tray.
- Bake for 50-55 min.
- Remove the lid and broil with pepper cap directly on the pepers for 5 min before removing the peppers.