Making homemade pasta takes much longer than store bought pasta, but gnocchi is one of the easiest homemade pastas to make! Plus, this gnocchi recipe only requires 5 ingredients, which makes the ingredients easy to source too. Even if it takes a bit longer to make homemade gnocchi than buying store bought, it is really fun to make, and comes out with a delicious product!
Recipe for this Homemade Gnocchi is from Chungah at Damn Delicious
My additions and edits are in red
- 2 medium russet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk ricotta
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan (if you are vegetarian, make sure to get vegetarian parmesan)
- 1 large egg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Pierce potatoes with a fork; place potatoes onto prepared baking sheet. Place into oven and bake until tender, about 1 hour. Let cool completely.
- Cut in half; scoop flesh into a medium bowl and mash. I hate throwing away potato peels, so if you want to reuse them, this potato peel crisps recipe is a great way to repurpose them. Transfer 1 1/2 cups to a large bowl; stir in flour, ricotta, Parmesan, egg, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Working on a lightly floured surface, divide dough into 6 equal pieces. Roll each piece into an 18-inch long rope, about 1-inch in diameter, sprinkling with additional flour as needed to prevent sticking. Using a sharp knife, cut each rope into 3/4-inch bite-size pieces; transfer to baking sheet.*
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; working in 3 batches, cook gnocchi until tender, stirring occasionally, about 4-6 minutes.
Drain well and transfer to clean rimmed baking sheet.Drop directly into sauce of your choice, some sauces I like are my Kale Walnut Pesto and my Tomato Sauce.