This recipe is from one of my favorite food bloggers Gal Cohen (on insta @holyhealth). She is a real food dietitian and has delicious dessert recipes, and this is one of my favorites! My parents have told me multiple times when I’ve made this recipe that it is one of their favorite chocolate chip cookies (and this is before they knew how healthy it was)!
The cookies are really soft and pillowy (so if you are a crunchy cookie person, this recipe might not be for you), but my family and I love them!
I’ve made revisions to the recipe multiple times, and even when I’ve made mistakes like forgetting to use baking soda and vanilla extract or using less sugar, it still tastes delicious! I found the recipe is very sweet and doesn’t need as much sugar as is in the original recipe, so you can look at how I edited that.
Here is Gal’s recipe (my edits/comments are in red).
Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 cups almond flour (this one from amazon is an amazing deal)
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup coconut oil at room temperature, softened (if using butter, let butter sit out for 20-30 min). For a healthier version, you can do 1/4 cup apple sauce and 1/4 cup coconut oil instead.
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or light brown sugar (I’ve used granulated sugar instead when I haven’t had these on stock, and cookies are still delicious)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (I don’t include this, since I think the recipe has enough sugar with the sugar content)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking soda (or 1 tbsp baking powder)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips (I like semisweet better so I use those)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Whisk together egg, sugar and oil. Mix in remaining ingredients until well combined
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and scoop out 1 tbsp of dough about 2 inches apart (dough is very sticky, so a cookie scooper helps with shaping cookies nicely if you have it on hand)
- Bake for 8-10 min. Remove from oven and tap pan lightly on the stove 1-2 times to flatten.
- Delicious hot (but also in room temperature). Enjoy!