One of my favorite food bloggers I follow on instagram, Rachel Mansfield, posted an image with her homemade black bean burgers. I love her dessert and breakfast recipes, but haven’t ever made a savory dish of hers. The black bean burgers were the first savory recipe I ever tried of Rachel’s, and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised! These burgers are the best black bean burgers I’ve ever had (I’ve been vegetarian for over a decade so I’ve had my fair share of black bean burgers). Love how easy this recipe was to make too!
In her recipe Rachel also gives a recipe for a vegan aioli. I don’t like aioli so I didn’t try it, but if you want to check that out you can do that here.
Here’s Rachel’s recipe for her vegan black bean burgers (my edits are in red).
Black Bean Burgers
- 1 flax egg (3 tablespoons water +1 tablespoon ground flax)
- 1/4 cup sautéed onions and mushrooms, chopped (I used a bit more-1/2 an onion, 1/4 cup mushroom sauteed in olive oil)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (didn’t have chili powder, so didn’t do this)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 15 ounce can of organic black beans
- 1/3 cup oat flour (spelt or gluten-free ap work!) (too lazy to make oat flour and didn’t have the other two types she recommended, so I just used regular ap flour)
First sautée your onions and mushrooms (if you haven’t done this yet).
- Heat a large skillet with avocado oil (I used olive oil) and warm over medium heat
- Strain and rinse the black beans then add to a large bowl and mash with a fork (you can leave some chunks too!)
- Add in the flax egg, onions, mushrooms, garlic, cilantro, spices and
oatflour and mix well with a spatula
- Form into 4 patties and cook over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes on each side
Enjoy and as always, let me know if you #ahavabite by tagging me on insta or facebook @ahavabite