My mom recently made this braised Red Cabbage with Apples recipe from NY Times and it was SO GOOD, so I decided to share the recipe with all of you (and so I can easily reference it when I want to make it myself).
Here is the recipe:
Braised Red Cabbage with Apples
Yield: 6-8 servings
Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 large red cabbage, 2-2.5 pounds, quartered, cored and cut crosswise in thin strips
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 2 tart apples, such as Braeburn or granny smith, peeled, cored and sliced
- About 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Prepare the cabbage, and cover with cold water while you prepare the remaining ingredients. Heat the oil over medium heat in a large, lidded skillet or casserole, and add the onion. Cook, stirring, until just about tender, around three minutes. Add two tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and cook, stirring, until mixture is just about golden, about three minutes, then add the apple and stir for two to three minutes.
- Drain the cabbage and add to the pot. Toss to coat thoroughly, the stir in the allspice, another 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, and salt to taste. Toss together. Cover the pot, and cook over low heat for one hour, stirring from time to time. Add freshly ground pepper, taste and adjust salt, and add another 1-2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar as desired.