I’d been seeing pickled red onions all over instagram, and they bring such a beautiful color to dishes! I’d been wanting to try them, and have tried two recipes so far (this recipe from Rachel Cooks that I’m sharing with you all is my favorite!)
I’ve used them on top of avocado toasts and curries, but my favorite way to eat them is in a salad!
pickled red onions
recipe from Rachel Cooks
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced (use a mandoline if you have one)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup hot or warm water
- Slice the red onions as thin as you can. I use a mandoline.
- Stuff all the red onions in the jar of your choice. A bowl will work too.
- In a measuring cup, combine apple cider vinegar, salt, sugar, and warm water. Stir to dissolve the sugar and salt. Pour this pickling mixture over your sliced onions, making sure they are immersed in the liquid, and let them set for an hour. After an hour, cover and store in the fridge for up to three weeks.
YIELD: 8 SERVING SIZE: 1/8 of recipe
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 14TOTAL FAT: 0gSATURATED FAT: 0gTRANS FAT: 0gUNSATURATED FAT: 0gCHOLESTEROL: 0mgSODIUM: 399mgCARBOHYDRATES: 3gFIBER: 0gSUGAR: 2gPROTEIN: 0g
One Comment Add yours