This delicious recipe is only 5 ingredients, and has many healthy nutrients because of the greek yogurt! I made these for my family a few months ago and they had no idea there was greek yogurt inside and enjoyed these bagels! These are slightly smaller than traditional bagels, so you might find yourself eating more than one, especially since they are so tasty!
The original recipe I used is from Kirbie’s Cravings, and I’ve adjusted it based on testing a few times in my own kitchen (adjustments in red)
Here’s how I made these delicious and nutritious
Greek Yogurt Bagels
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt (I used 2% Fage)
- 1 cup self-rising flour or mix 1 cup* all purpose flour + 1 1/2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp table salt (I had to use a total of 1.5 cups of all purpose flour for the dough to not be a sticky mess and to shape it in bagel form)
FOR THE TOPPINGS
- 1 egg whisked (for egg wash finish)
- white sesame seeds
- everything bagel seasoning (I bought mine from Trader Joe’s)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
In a large bowl, add yogurt and flour. When measuring out the yogurt, make sure that you strain out any liquid. Any extra liquid sitting in your yogurt will cause the dough to be too wet.
Using a large spoon or spatula, mix together flour and yogurt until it begins to form a crumbly dough. Use your hands to push the dough together into one ball. The dough will be very sticky.
Add your dough to a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment (I used my Braun FP3020 12 Cup Food Processor with the dough hook since I don’t have a stand mixer, and this works just fine) Knead the dough until it comes together in one ball and has pulled away from the sides of the mixing bowl. As soon as it reaches this stage, it is ready and you should stop the mixer immediately. If you do not have a stand mixer, you can knead the dough by hand. You will need to cover your kneading surface with flour and knead the dough by hand until it is tacky and no longer sticky. I prefer using the stand mixer because it is faster and the dough comes together without the extra flour which results in a lighter bagel.
Divide dough into four equal balls. Roll out a ball on a lightly floured surface until it becomes a rope about 3/4 inch thick. Try to make the rope as even and smooth as possible. Pinch ends shut to form a round circle. Repeat with remaining dough.
Place bagels onto a baking sheet. Brush tops with egg wash. Sprinkle tops with whichever seasonings you prefer.
Bake bagels for about 23-25 minutes or until bagels are cooked all the way through. Remove bagels from the oven and turn heat up to 500°F. Place bagels back in oven and bake about 3 minutes until surface is browned.
Let bagels cool a few minutes before eating.
- Use the left over egg wash to make scrambled eggs or an omelet and make a sandwich with your fresh, hot homemade bagels! I love making an avocado egg sandwich
- Make a double batch, the recipe only makes 4 small bagels, and they go quickly!