Right now the best soup I have EVER made. Thank you ginabnutrition for this recipe (found on her instagram).
The fall flavors of this soup are just incredible, and I love that this soup uses seasonal ingredients. I made a few adjustments based on ingredients I had at home to her original recipe (adjustments will be put in parentheses like so) and the final product still tasted divine!
Here’s how I made this
Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 cup diced sweet potato
- 1 cup diced butternut squash
- 1 3/4 apples, cored and chopped (I used two apples because I didn’t want any waste, and the apples I used were small)
- pinch nutmeg and cayenne (I didn’t have this, so I used a pinch of chili powder and cinnamon)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder (I used 3 tsp combo of a mix of garlic powder, cilantro, paprika, cumin and allspice since this is what I had at home)
- 2 tbsp thick coconut yogurt (I used 2% fage greek instead)
- 2 3/4 cup veggie stock
- 1 tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil, then add the onion and garlic. Sweat until translucent
- Add the apple, sweet potato and butternut squash along with the veggie stock and spices. Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer and cover for 20-25 min.
- When sweet potato and butternut squash are tender, add in chickpeas and yogurt. Cook for a couple more min (I cooked for 5 more min)
- Transfer to a blender (or food processor). Blend until smooth.
- Taste and season with any more salt pepper and spices to your preference. Serve with a hunk of bread or toasted pumpkin seeds/pepitas (heat with oil spray on pan season with salt and pepper).
Enjoy and let me know if you ahavabite by commenting or tagging me on instagram!