I bought a huge bag of buckwheat to make my Homemade Seeded Buckwheat Bread, but since I do not have a food processor or blender in my new place (which I need to make the bread), I was not able to use my buckwheat for this recipe. I was looking for another buckwheat recipe that didn’t require a blender or food processor, and found this Overnight Coconut Buckwheat Porridge recipe from Fool Proof Living. I changed the recipe up a bit based on my experience, taste preference, and available ingredients.
Here’s how I made my version…
Overnight Buckwheat Chia porridge
For the porridge:
- 1 cup buckwheat groats (not kasha)
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 3 cups milk (or any other unsweetened milk alternative, I used unsweetened almond milk from Pacific Foods)
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
For the Toppings: (all optional)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, any other unsalted nuts of your choice, or peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cup berries, pomegranate seeds, caramelized bananas (or any fresh fruit you have at home)
- Sunflower seeds
- Drizzle of honey or maple syrup
- Mix buckwheat groats, chia seeds, milk, vanilla extract, maple syrup (or honey) cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. Cover it with stretch film and let it sit overnight in the fridge.
- In the morning, place it in a pot, and cook, stirring occasionally, for10-12 minutes or until it reaches to your desired thickness.
- Garnish it with fruit, coconut, and nuts. Serve either warm or cold (after you’ve put it back in the fridge)
- Good for up to three days.
Hope you enjoy and please let me know if you ahavabite by commenting below or interacting with me on social media