I love sweet potatoes, and I’m lucky that they are also incredibly nutritious and a great source of fiber, protein and vitamins (learn more here)!
I made these sweet potato waffles using leftover sweet potatoes I had after using the skins for a different recipe and LOVED them. I think this might be my new favorite waffle recipe! The picture I took is of a savory version I made with sliced avocado, heirloom tomato, and Trader Joes Everything But the Bagel Seasoning, but they are also naturally sweet enough to eat with sweet toppings, such as yogurt or whipped cream with fruit or homemade jam, or maple syrup!
These are also flourless for anyone who keeps gluten-free. Also, this recipe also contains 5 ingredients that you should already have at home, which means you hopefully won’t be running to the grocery store for ingredients to make them!
Thank you Kitcheneer for the delicious recipe!
Sweet Potato Waffles
(Makes 4 large waffles)
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp kosher salt cinnamon
- 1 tsp kosher sea salt
- coconut oil spray
- If sweet potatoes are peeled: add 1-2 inches of water to a vegetable steamer and bring the water to a full boil on your stove. Slice sweet potatoes and put in steamer insert over the boiling water and cover the pan. Steam for about 10 min or until the slices are fork tender (recipe from livestrong.com)
- If baking sweet potato (with peel on): preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wash and poke each potato with a fork, wrap in aluminum foil and roast in oven for 40 min. Let potatoes cool down for 10-15 min and peel of skin.
- Put cooked sweet potatoes in mixing bowl and begin mashing them down until smooth
- Add in eggs, salt and cinnamon
- Combine until smooth
- Heat up waffle iron to medium heat, spray thoroughly with coconut oil
- Scoop 1/2 cup for large waffles and cook until it can come off easily with a fork.
- Serve warm with your favorite sweet or savory toppings!
- Make sure to use oil spray for every new waffle or the batter will stick to the waffle maker
Enjoy and let me know if you #ahavabite by commenting here or tagging me on social media!
One Comment Add yours