Stumbled upon this recipe on @zoebakes instagram, and have been wanting to try it forever! Finally decided to make it today and it was a huge hit in my household.
I made a few edits to her recipe based on ingredients I had at home. For example, I didn’t have whole milk, so I used 2% milk instead. I also didn’t have all purpose flour, so I used white whole wheat flour from Trader Joes.Finally, I ran out of butter for greasing, so I used plant based butter I had at home for this instead of regular butter. Despite these revisions, the recipe still turned out delicious! Crunchy on the outside and airy and light on the inside, just how I like it!
Whole Wheat Breakfast Popovers
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups (480ml) 2% milk
- 1½ cups (213g) white whole wheat flour
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons (28g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Softened butter for pan
- Heat oven to 400 F.
- Mix all the ingredients in a blender.
- Brush butter in each popover cup.
- Place pan in oven until butter melts.
- Add popover batter to pan, filling the cups about ¾ of the way to the top.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown and puffed.
- Reduce heat to 350, continue baking 20 minutes until caramel brown and puffed. Bake longer if you are using a large popover pan.
- Serve warm! I enjoyed these most with a spread of butter and my homemade raspberry chia jam
- If you don’t have wheat flour at home, you can use unbleached all purpose flour (what the original recipe suggests)
- Don’t put batter in greased pan if you aren’t baking immediately (I did this for half of the batter). If you do, the popovers will stick to the pan and be hard to remove/clean from the pan.
- I didn’t have a popover pan as the original recipe suggests, and instead used a muffin pan I had at home. I also baked some of the popovers in ramekins. The popovers still turned out beautifully using both methods!