Trying to enjoy as much baked goods as possible before passover starts led me to trying this delicious Hazelnut Tahini Brownie recipe from Crowded Kitchen. These brownies were so rich and fudgy, just how I like them! The recipe is also vegan-friendly for those who are dairy and egg free!
Here’s how to make them:
Hazelnut Tahini Brownies
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (I used whole wheat flour because this is what I had at home)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flax meal mixed with 6 tbsp room temp water)
- 1/2 cup melted vegan dark chocolate chips (I melted these using the double broiler method, the heat on my microwave is very high)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup chocolate chunks
- Flaky salt (I used sea salt)
- Preheat oven to 325 F and line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper.
- Make flax eggs by combining 2 tbsp flax meal with 6 tbsp room temp water. Stir and set aside to thicken for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together tahini, coconut sugar, maple syrup, melted coconut oil and vanilla until smooth. Whisk in flax eggs and melted chocolate until well incorporated. Add cocoa powder in thirds and whisk until smooth.
- Use a spatula to fold in flour mixture (at this point, the batter will be too thick for whisk). Stir until well combined.
- Pour into parchment paper lined pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts, chocolate chunks and flaky salt.
- Bake for 32-35 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 20 minutes before cutting (or else they will crumble!).
- Enjoy warm (and/or served with ice cream- I used strawberry Haagen Dazs)