I bought queso de mano recently from my local grocery store (I live in Miami, so I have plenty of latin products in my grocery store). I ran out of tortillas at home, and decided to make my own! Most recipes I saw online required a tortilla press, but since I run on a tight budget (and don’t have one at home) I sought a recipe that didn’t require one. I used Courtney from NeighborFood’s recipe, and it was delicious! Here’s how she made it.
- 2 cups masa flour (I used PAN Harina Yellow corn meal)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups water, or more if needed
- Combine masa, salt, and water in a large bowl and stir together until a dough begins to form. You want the dough to resemble play dough consistency.
2. Cut out 2 6 inch circles of parchment paper and set aside. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Grab a hunk of dough about 1 1/2 inches round and roll it into a ball. Place dough ball on top of one of the parchment circles then place the second circle on top. Use a pie plate, or other heavy bottomed, round pot to press the dough ball into a 5-6 inch circle. Carefully remove the top piece of parchment paper. If the dough sticks, it is too wet–add an additional Tablespoon or two of masa. If it crumbles, it is too dry–add a Tablespoon or two of water.
3. Leave the bottom sheet of parchment paper on. Place the tortilla, parchment side up, onto the hot skillet. Leave for about 30 seconds, remove top piece of parchment paper and continue to cook on the same side for an additional minute, or until brown spots begin to form. Flip and cook an additional 30 seconds on the other side.
4. You can cook as many tortillas at a time as your skillet will hold. Just cut additional sheets of parchment as needed. I’ve stored the dough in the fridge for up to a week.
5. Stack warm tortillas and wrap in a clean dish towel to keep warm. Reheat for a few seconds in the skillet if needed.
With these tortillas you can make tacos with your favorite toppings like:
- Homemade lentil walnut meat, avocado, and peach mango salsa
- Salmon with peach mango salsa
- Black beans and queso de mano
Enjoy and let me know if you #ahavabite by tagging me on social media or commenting on this post!