Combining two of my favorites, roasted eggplant and homemade hummus for this Hummus with Roasted Eggplant recipe. This dip is very versatile and can be served as a dip with veggie sticks and pita chips, or in a sandwich.
This recipe makes two small bowls of hummus. Check it out below:
- 1 sliced eggplant
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can of garbanzo beans (you can also use 1 3/4 cup garbanzo beans)
- 1 can of cannellini beans (or garbanzo beans)
- 4 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons water
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed (optional)
- za’atar, salt and pepper, olive oil drizzle and sesame seeds (for topping, optional)
- Roast eggplant with olive oil spray (or 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil), salt, pepper and oregano on 450 degrees until golden brown (around 30-40 min)
- While eggplant is cooking, cook onion and garlic with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. (You can also cook them in the oven with the eggplant and one extra tablespoon of olive oil to save dishes for clean up).
- Rinse and drain garbanzo beans, and place in blender with remaining ingredients (minus those listed for topping) into a food processor or blender and blend until creamy.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with za’atar, salt and pepper according to your taste.
- Hummus tastes so much better if you can serve it fresh and warm! However, I served this dish at room temperature to friends and it was still delicious
- Feel free to adjust water, tahini, and olive oil ratio based on your consistency/taste preferences