Shakshuka Stuffed Eggplant 🍆 made by yours truly! The eggplant was oven roasted and cooked to perfection without any oil, and I only used a bit of olive oil spray to cook the shakshuka inside!
- 1 large eggplant
- Olive oil spray
- olive oil
- 1 large diced onion
- 1 diced green pepper
- 1 chopped scallion
- Seasoning (paprika, cumin, tumeric, and freshly chopped oregano)
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1 sliced tomato (two slices needed)
- 1 tsp of tomato paste
- 4 eggs
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut eggplant 🍆 in half length wise and place on a baking sheet (I’d recommend putting parchment paper or aluminum foil underneath for easy cleanup). Figure 1/2 inch deep 3/4 inch diamonds flesh side up. Drizzle with olive oil and sea salt
- Pop into oven for 30 min (I put mine for a bit longer, because it was a huge eggplant) or until the 🍆 bakes down to a withered look and is soft throughout. Slice halfway through flesh and pull skin to the side to create a pocket for the shakshouka.
- While the 🍆 is roasting, place large pan on medium heat with olive oil spray and place 1 large diced onion, 1 diced green pepper, and 1 chopped scallion with salt and pepper to your taste. *I also added paprika, cumin, turmeric and freshly chopped oregano 🌿 for extra spice and flavor.
- When the onions begin to become translucent add tomato paste and chopped tomato. Mix until thoroughly combined and liquid from tomato🍅 has evaporated. Place into eggplant pockets, and stir in one egg yolk with the veggie mixture. Top each eggplant half with a slice of tomato and crack an egg on top🥚. *Push down your slice of tomato firmly so the yolk won’t fall off the eggplant.
- Pull from oven and raise temperature to 475 F. Bake for another 5-7 min until the eggs 🍳 are cooked to your liking! Thank you Glow Kitchen for the Vegetable Stuffed Eggplant recipe, which I adapted for this dish!
- I didn’t have garlic, which is why I didn’t include it in this recipe, but I think it would be a great addition to this recipe!
- Serve with toasted bread or roasted cauliflower (if you’re trying to cut down on #carbs )